The History of Syon Park

THE LAST SURVIVING DUCAL RESIDENCE AND COUNTRY ESTATE IN GREATER LONDON

Originally the site of a medieval abbey, Syon was named after Mount Zion in the Holy Land. The abbey was dedicated to the Bridgetting Order, established in the 14th century by the great Swedish mystic St Bridget. One of the last great abbeys to be built (founded by King Henry V in 1415), Syon was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1539.

In 1547 King Henry VIII’s coffin was brought to Syon on its way to Windsor for burial, however the coffin was found open in the morning, an unusual discovery which was believed to be a divine judgement for the King’s desecration of Syon Abbey.

Following the destruction of the abbey, the land became the property of the Crown and was put into the possession of the first Duke of Somerset. The Duke built Syon House in an Italian Renaissance style between 1547 and 1552. Following the Duke’s execution, the house was acquired by John Dudley. In 1557 the Roman Catholic Mary Tudor recalled nuns to re-establish the abbey at Syon but this was short lived as the Protestant Queen Elizabeth came to the throne in 1558. In 1594 Syon House was acquired by Henry Percy, the 9th Earl of Northumberland. The property has remained within the family ever since, and now, over 400 years later, the House is the London home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland.

As well as being a home and visitor attraction, Syon House also has a full wedding licence. The House can be hired in conjunction with The Garden Room for civil ceremonies for up to 120 guests, subject to availability. Guests could then move over to The Garden Room to continue the celebrations long into the night. Please note hire of Syon House is not included with The Garden Room and will carry an additional charge.